Top: Science: Science_in_Society:
|This category in other languages:|
- Alan Sokal on the "Social Text Affair" - Read all about the hoax in which Sokal submitted a bogus article to a humanities journal, including the article, the aftermath, and his motivation.
- Association for Politics and the Life Sciences - Interdisciplinary association of scholars, scientists, and policymakers concerned with problems that involve politics or public policy and one or more of the life sciences.
- Belgian Biosafety Server - Focusing on scientific and regulatory aspects of biosafety, with regard to human activities carried out using pathogenic or genetically-modified organisms.
- Biosociety - Website for European Union socio-economic research in the life sciences. Information and research areas, databases, and general aims, as well as discussion forum, networks, and related links.
- Center for Science, Policy, and Outcomes - A non-profit think tank that works with the U.S. Congress on issues involving science policies and their effects on society. Includes issues papers and analyses on current topics.
- Center for the Study of Technology and Society - A nonprofit research and educational organization which considers the social effects of technological change.
- Cienciateca.com: Scientists Popularizing Science - Collection of articles covering science, technology, and society. Includes stories on evolution, industrial chemicals, energy, and materials.
- Debunking the Conventional Wisdom About the Science Wars - Essays by mathematician Gabriel Stolzenberg arguing that allegations made by Alan Sokal and others of relativist and postmodernist 'science-abuse' in the humanities and social sciences are based largely on hostile misreadings and pop metaphysics.
- The Edge - The Third Culture - Collected works and ideas of intellectuals whose work bridges the gap that C.P. Snow identified as existing between traditional intellectuals and the sciences. Topics include physics, evolutionary biology, philosophy, psychology, artificial life, chaos theory, neural nets, fractals, and others.
- Elitism vs. Checks and Balances in Communicating Scientific Information to the Public - Paper by Arthur Kantrowitz proposing a method for communicating what science knows and doesn't know when facts are needed for public policy decision.
- The Engines of Our Ingenuity - Transcripts of a radio program exploring technology and culture.
- Hybrid Vigor Institute - Educational organization created to facilitate the exchange and cultivation of interest in interdisciplinary science research. Publications and details of forthcoming conferences.
- IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology - Addressing such issues as environmental, health and safety implications of technology, engineering ethics and professional responsibility.
- Institute of Science in Society - Membership organization in the UK, offering news articles, mailing lists, and membership information.
- Irish Science Centres Association - ISCAN fosters and promotes the public understanding of science and technology in Ireland.
- The Masters of History - A book about the impact of science and engineering on society.
- National Conference of Lawyers and Scientists - Addressing matters including scientific fraud, reliability scientific and technical information available to the federal courts, legal, ethical, and technological aspects of computer networks and genetic testing, and intellectual property issues associated with electronic publishing.
- Negrotti, Massimo - Director of the Lab for the Culture of the Artificial, University of Urbino, Italy. Page includes books, research interests, music and photos.
- RiskWorld - Resources on risk assessment and risk management in medicine, environment, and society at large.
- Science and Institutions - Articles by Luis Gonzalez-Mestres, including topics of science ethics and other social aspects.
- Science-as-Culture - Internet mailing list. Site includes subscription tools and archives.
- Scientific Freedom, Responsibility and Law Program - A project to examine intellectual property issues associated with electronic publishing in science.
- Society for Evolutionary Analysis in Law - Scholarly association fostering interdisciplinary exploration of issues at the intersection of law, biology, and evolutionary theory. Features conference details, notices, other organization information, and links.
- TechNet: The Technology Network of the World Bank - Designed to encourage understanding of, and promote the use of science, technology and information in development.
- Technology and Culture - A scholarly journal dedicated to the historical study of technology in its relationships with society and culture.
- 2think.org - Collection of book reviews and essays, mostly on popular science, with an emphasis on science as a guide to truth. Also includes a discussion forum.
- Virtual Society? - Introduction to the Virtual Society? Programme: the social science of electronic technologies.
- Voice of the Shuttle - Science, Technology, and Culture Page at this website for Humanities Research.
- WACRA Europe - World Association for Case Method Research and Case Method Application, Europe - Advancing the philosophy that complex economic and social problems, whether acute or chronic, cannot be solved by academic research bounded by the conventional constraints of strict rationality.
- W3C Technology & Society Domain - Concentrating on issues that arise from applications of Web technology, and devoting significant resources to international public policy issues.
- What the Social Text Affair Does and Does Not Prove - Article by Alan Sokal.
- World Conference on Science - Final reports from the international conference, addressing many aspects of the place of science in society, including ethics, science and technology in economic development, and environmental and economic issues.